Frequently Asked Questions
Health & Safety Policy for #CMCon23
Thank you, to all of our authors & attendees who remained masked at our 2023 return to an in-person event. I know it wasn’t anyone’s favorite thing, but it was important for our attendees’ safety, and your compliance was sincerely appreciated. ❤
What Is Coastal Magic Convention?
- This event is my way of getting the authors I love to read and talk to close enough for me to hang out with. It was a completely selfish plan that has turned into a annual shindig I’m very proud to be a part of. The goal is to give authors & readers an opportunity to spend time together and make awesome memories. For more info about its origin, click on the “About” page above.
How Much Does It Cost?
- Please check the Registration page on June 1st, when General Registration begins, for all pricing and details.
How Can I Attend?
- Readers: General Registration starts June 1st. You simply pay the registration fee and you’re set! Our attendance limit for readers is 250 (300 total, with our authors). If you are not local to Daytona, you’ll need to get a hotel room (we strongly recommend our host hotel – discount room info will be posted when it becomes available.)
- Bloggers: Bloggers will register as General Registration. Featured Bloggers will be chosen in April, and will have responsibilities before and during the event (and will get cool perks for their efforts). You can fill out this form if you’re interested in a Featured Blogger spot. Positions are limited.
- Authors: I have gotten MANY questions about how authors are selected for Coastal Magic. Here are the basics:
- We do not have open registration for Featured Author positions. I try very hard each year to put together a dynamic and diverse Featured Author group that includes both established and newer/local authors. I also include authors from a wide range of sub-genres, publishing paths, and readership groups. The most effective way for me to do this is by invitation.
- The first round of invitations are sent in late March/ early April, and go out to returning authors, authors on my own “wish list”, and authors requested on our attendees’ feedback forms. The second round of invitations goes out to authors who’ve contacted me, who I believe will help create a fun and interesting lineup for our attendees. Every year I discover fantastic “new-to-me” authors thanks to their emails, it’s one of my favorite parts of this gig!
- If you’d like to be considered for Feature Author status (listed on the Featured Author page, guaranteed space at public signing, participation in panels/meet & greets) please use the contact page (there’s a tab, above). Our goal is 50 Featured Authors. The contact page will be updated when Featured Author spots are full.
- I will be keeping a wait list, once we reach our Featured Author limit, in case of cancellation. Authors on the wait list may be contacted at any point, if a space becomes available.
- *NOTE* Contacting me does NOT guarantee you a spot as a Featured Author or addition to the wait list. I will make all final decisions based on individual communication with authors.
Can I Get A Refund?
- Yes, with limitations. You can request a full refund up to 30 days from the time you pay for your registration. After that, you are welcome to transfer your registration to a friend. See the transfer info below. The last date to request any refund will be December 31, regardless of what date you registered. After that point, I’ll be paying the balances due for the convention, and will not have money available for refunds.
Can I Transfer My Ticket To A Friend?
- Yes. If you’re unable to make it to the convention after you’ve registered, and would like to send a friend in your place, simply email me at CoastalMagicConvention at gmail dot com with your information. I’ll need your order #, your name, your email, and the corresponding information for the person coming in your place. There may be additional information needed, depending on final details for the convention.
Is There A Charge For The Public Signing?
- No. The signing is completely free to attend and open to the public, as well as to those attending the full Coastal Magic Convention. All Featured Authors will be participating. Some authors will have their own books to buy at their table (may include ebook downloads), some will have books at the bookseller table, which can be purchased and taken to the author’s table for personalization. Please limit the books you bring into the signing from home to 3. Books by participating authors will be available to purchase before and during the signing.
Are Meals Included In My Registration?
- One meal is included with your registration. We have an Author/Reader lunch on Saturday. There are MANY options, both in the hotel and within easy walking distance, for the rest of your meals.
How Much Time Will I Actually Get With Each Author?
- All the panels and meet & greets are designed to not only create discussions, but give time to chat. There will also be ample time between panels for catching up with both authors and other readers. Additionally, there are other activities designed to allow casual conversation with participating authors. While I can’t give you an actual number of minutes, you’ll have many opportunities for face-to-face time with your favorite authors.
Do you have an “Harassment Policy”?
- Unfortunately, as much as it sucks that it’s necessary, yes, we do. EVERY report or observed instance of harassment WILL be investigated to the best of my ability. If any attendee is found to be harassing another attendee they will be asked to leave and no refund will be issued. We will NOT tolerate harassment of any kind. This includes, but is not limited to, unwanted or inappropriate attention, verbal abuse, and unwanted or inappropriate physical contact. Put simply, BE NICE TO PEOPLE! Respect each other’s personal space and feelings. There may be times when some of us have differences of opinions. That’s ok… it’s what makes things interesting. We can discuss these differences without attacking each other. We can also appreciate each other without encroaching on personal space. Each person is here for a weekend of fun and relaxation. We are dedicated to giving everyone the freedom to interact with each other in a safe, comfortable environment.
If you have other questions or need anything clarified, please email me at
CoastalMagicConvention at gmail dot com
Hi! I just wanted to know what is the last day you can register?
Hi I have a question about bringing books from home. Is the 3 book limit per author? And can I buy more than 3 books from authors at the event
Hi Beth! The three book limit is total. And yes, you’re absolutely welcome to buy more than three books at the event. We’d just like to encourage people to buy from the authors at the event, as a thank you for making the trip and spending the weekend with us.
Will you be requiring proof of vaccination for people to attend? (Most conventions seem to be doing so.)
When will you post the schedule? The one here is for 2022.
I’ll be working on that this weekend — will send to authors and make adjustments during the upcoming week, and plan to post it next weekend.