Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Coastal Magic Convention?
- This event is my way of getting the authors I love to read and talk to close enough for me to hang out with. It was a completely selfish plan that has turned into a annual shindig I’m very proud to be a part of. For more info about its origin, click on the “About” page above.
How Much Does It Cost?
- Check the Registration Page on June 1st, when General Registration begins, for all pricing and details.
What Do I Have To Do To Attend?
- Readers: General Registration starts July 1st. You simply have to pay the registration fee, and you’re set. Our attendance limit for readers is 250. There is information on this site for travelers and about the hotel.
- Bloggers: Bloggers will register as General Registration. Featured Bloggers will be chosen in April, and will have responsibilities before and during the event (and will get cool perks for their efforts). You can email me via the contact form if you’re interested in Featured Blogger status. Positions are limited. If you’re a blogger who would like to attend any “bloggers only” events, please be sure to mark that on your registration form.
- Authors: I have gotten MANY questions about how authors are selected for Coastal Magic. Here are the basics: We do not have open registration for Featured or Signing Author positions. I try very hard, each year, to put together a Featured Author group that includes both established and newer/local authors. I also include authors from a wide range of sub-genres, publishing paths, and readership age groups. The most effective way for me to do this is by invitation. The first round of invitations are sent in late March/April, and go out to returning authors, authors on my own “wish list”, and authors mentioned on our attendees feedback forms. The second round of invitations goes out to authors who’ve contacted me, who I believe will help create a dynamic, interesting, fun lineup for our attendees. Every year I discover fantastic “new-to-me” authors, thanks to their inquiries about Coastal Magic. If you’d like to be considered for Feature Author status (listed on the Featured Author page, guaranteed space at public signing, participation in panels/meet & greets) please use the contact page (there’s a tab, above). Our goal is 50 Featured Authors. The contact page will be updated when Featured Author spots are full. I will be keeping a waiting list, once we reach our Featured Author limit, in case of cancellation. We also have a small number of signing only spots available. Those spots are also filled by invitation. Signing only authors will not participate on panels or other activities, but will be listed on the charity book signing list on this site. *NOTE* Contacting me does NOT guarantee you a spot as a Featured or Signing author. I will make all final decisions based on individual communication with authors.
Can I Get A Refund If I Can’t Make It?
- Yes, with limitations. You can request a full refund up to 90 days from the time you pay for your registration. After that, EventBrite.com (the site we use to process registrations) locks in the payment and no refund will be available. The last date to request any refund will be December 31, regardless of what date you registered. After that point, I’ll be paying off things for the convention, and will not have the money available for refunds.
Can I Transfer My Ticket To A Friend?
- Yes. If you’re unable to make it to the convention after you’ve registered, and would like to send a friend in your place, simply email me at CoastalMagicConvention at gmail dot com with your information. I’ll need your order #, your name, your email, and the corresponding information for the person coming in your place. There may be additional information needed, depending on final details for the convention.
Will There Be A Charge For The Public Signing?
- No. The signing is completely free and open to the public, as well as to those attending the full Coastal Magic Convention. All Featured Authors will be participating, and additional “signing only” authors will be added to the list as time goes on. Please limit the books you bring into the signing from home to 3. Those books will be marked with temporary, invisible ink as you come in, and scanned as you leave the signing. Books by participating authors will be available to purchase before and during the signing.
Are Meals Included In My Registration?
- One meal is included with your registration. We have an Author/Reader lunch on Saturday. There are MANY options, both in the hotel and within easy walking distance, for the rest of your meals.
How Much Time Will I Actually Get With Each Author?
- All the panels and meet & greets are designed to not only create discussions, but give time to chat individually. There will also be ample time between panels for catching up with both authors and other readers. And, there is our “everyone welcome” mixer on Saturday night. While I can’t give you an actual number of minutes, you’ll have LOADS of face time with your favorite authors.
Do you have an “Harassment Policy”?
- Unfortunately, as much as it sucks that it’s necessary, yes, we do. EVERY report or observed instance of harassment WILL be investigated to the best ability of event staff and if necessary, myself. If any attendee is found to be harassing another attendee they will be asked to leave and no refund will be issued. We will be as fair as possible, but will NOT tolerate harassment of any kind. This includes, but is not limited to, unwanted or inappropriate attention, verbal abuse, and unwanted or inappropriate physical contact. Put simply, BE COURTEOUS TO PEOPLE! Respect each other’s personal space and feelings. There may be times when some of us have differences of opinions. That’s ok… it’s what makes things interesting. We can discuss these differences without attacking each other. We can also appreciate each other without encroaching on personal space. Each person is here for a weekend of fun and relaxation. We are dedicated to giving everyone the freedom to interact with each other in a safe, comfortable environment.
If you have other questions, please feel free to email me at
CoastalMagicConvention at gmail dot com