Well, HELLO THERE, everyone!!
It’s been a little while since our 2018 Coastal Magic weekend, I hope you’ve all got some great memories from that event, and are ready to make some more at #CMCon19!
Some of the first things I have to do in the planning process are find amazing authors for you to get excited about, and incredible bloggers to help us get to know them all. The Featured Author announcement will be coming at the end of this month, but right now I’d like you to meet our Featured Blogger group.
Jackie – http://www.literaryescapism.com
Laura – https://littlereadridinghood.com
Jay – http://joyfullyjay.com
Tamye – https://bookscoffeeandcraftsnews.com
Scherry – http://www.thenovellady.com
Yvonne – https://lilysreviews.dreamwidth.org
Jeff & Will – http://biggayfictionpodcast.com
Rae – https://www.booksilovealatte.com
Mandie – http://takingtimeformommy.com
Some of these will be familiar faces. (Laura’s been with me since the first year!) Not only do they work hard to promote our authors and the convention BEFORE our weekend, they moderate our panels and do SO MUCH to help make sure Coastal Magic runs smoothly. I’m thrilled to have so many returning bloggers, and excited to get to work with some amazing new peeps.
The blogs these ladies and gents represent cover such a wide variety of genres and target audiences, kinda like us! Each month, from July through February, they will host Featured Author Spotlights. This is where you get the chance to learn a little more about each of our Featured Authors, get familiar with their writing before the event, and even win a prize or two! In addition to their own monthly posts, these will be the blogs involved in any of our convention sponsored blog events, to promote Coastal Magic and/or the authors. Those will generally happen around a holiday, and will all involve contests. 🙂
So… give these blogs a peek. Be sure to subscribe to them, and/or follow all of their social media outlets, so you don’t miss any of the fun!
I feel like the last month has FLOWN by, and the idea that we’re only a week away from seeing everyone for the 5th annual Coastal Magic is a bit mind boggling! It’s awesome, and also I’M NOT READY, lol!!
There’s always so much to do in the “home stretch”, so here’s a quick rundown of what you can expect between now and our weekend by the beach.
- Lunch with an Author signups!!
Lots of people have been asking about this, it’s one of the highlights of the weekend. After the first couple of years, having to rearrange and adjust and try to re-seat disappointed readers… I learned that this has to be done as close to our event as possible. This *hopefully* bypasses the issue of people selecting to sit with an author, that author having to cancel for some reason, and then trying to find places for those readers with other author groups. This makes us all nervous, I know, and I’m sorry… but it’s necessary. In case you missed the social media posts (and a reminder, if you did see them) our signups for this year’s lunch will be SATURDAY, JAN 28th at 8PM, eastern. This will *hopefully* give readers in all time zones a fair opportunity to make their selections. Some things to remember about the lunch:
- Please be sure to have a list of authors you’re interested in spending your lunch with. Some authors will have their spots fill up almost immediately. This happens every year. While I understand that everyone has favorites, I also hope that we have enough fabulous authors in attendance that each of will have a long list to choose from.
- Consider selecting an author that you’ve never read, or someone you’re not familiar with. This is a great time to find new authors to add to your TBR lists!! And you just never know, you may start some fun new friendships.
- Authors will NOT be bringing any giveaways for the lunch groups. The focus here is spending time with each other and chatting. There are many other opportunities during the weekend for authors to share swag or goodies.
- I will post the link for the signups (we’ll be using SignupGenius.com again) on all of our social media and this blog at 7:30pm, and the link will go live at 8pm.
- Volunteer Signup Form!!
This is the first year (after being asked for a couple of years) that we’ll have a volunteer signup! If you checked the box when you registered to help out for 1, 2, or 3 hours during the weekend, you’ll have the opportunity to sign up for specific time blocks. We’ll need some extra hands at the registration desk, setting up for activities, and more. Hopefully, everyone who’s interested will be able to find some times between their “can’t miss” panels. Thank you, in advance, for your help. The offers are very much appreciated!! I’ll have that signup form ready for you this weekend, as well. The link will be emailed to the address on your registration.
- We still have limited space available for single day and two day registrations. If you, or someone you know, wanted to come hang with us, but couldn’t get away for the whole convention — there’s still a chance to join us! The graphic below has the pricing and activity info for each day. Be sure to share it with your book loving, beach loving friends!
There are a few more things up my sleeve for the next week… so keep your eyes on our social media (FB and Twitter) for additional updates.
Thank you all for your enthusiasm and excitement. I can’t wait to see everyone! (Actually, I can! I have more things to print, and lists to check off, and people to email… and, and, and… )
How’s about THAT for a way to spend the afternoon?? I honestly love this picture… SO much. It was a happy surprise when I checked out Featured Author Jan DeLima’s blog post, today, about coming to the Daytona/St. Augustine area for next year’s Coastal Magic Convention. You can find her fun post HERE, along with lots of other beachy, beautiful pics to go with this one.
It serves as a subtle, yet not-so-subtle reminder that registration is open, for anyone who’d like to join Jan, the rest of the Featured Authors, and all of us anxious readers! We’re going to have such a great time!! I’m torn between wishing it was February NOW, and being glad I have enough time to finish getting everything ready, lol.
Be sure to keep an eye out for blog posts from our Featured Bloggers, spotlighting our Featured Authors. There will be promos, interviews, reviews, and fun guest spots every month to help all of you get to know our group better. I can’t wait to see what everyone’s got in store for us!! There’s a running list of links on our Featured Blogger page, if you want to check out anything you may have missed.
I’ve got some real life things going on this month (Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and DragonCon… I do love my real life!), but I’ll be starting to work on a panel and meet & greet schedule in September. I hope I’ll have that up for everyone in late September, early October. *fingers crossed* Right now… here’s the bare bones (might change, but probably not by too much) outline of how things will happen that weekend. (I’m posting this now, so if you’re interested in coming, you’ll have an idea of when to arrive/leave.)
Thursday, Feb 5th:
- 5pm – Registration Check-In / Welcome Bag Pick-up starts
- 6-10pm – Author / Blogger events
- 6pm – 12am – Game Room / Meet-up area for all attendees
Friday, Feb 6th:
- 10am – 6pm – Panels / Meet & Greets (Lunch break around 12pm-ish? Meal not included in registration.)
- 7-9pm – Supernatural Lasertag at Daytona Lagoon (requires separate ticket at registration)
- 9:30-11:30pm – Cinema Craptastique (delightful “MST-style” viewing of an awesomely awful paranormal movie, headed by super snarker Damon Suede)
Saturday, Feb 7th:
- Breakfast / Lunch With An Author (Meal, EITHER breakfast OR lunch, included in registration. More information coming later )
- 10am-4pm – Panels / Meet & Greets (Lunch break around 12pm-ish?)
- 5-7pm – Charity Booksale / Signing (benefits Habitat For Humanity… open to the public)
- 8-11pm – Evening Mingle (catchy name TBD, lol)
Sunday, Feb 8th:
- 9-10am – Charity Raffle Basket Winners Announced (baskets must be picked up by noon or alternate winners will be chosen)
- 10am-2pm – Panels (in addition to reader-focused programming, this is likely where our “writer/industry” focused panels will be)
- 12-2pm – Swag Crafts (fun ways to use/display all of your convention swag!!)
- 2-2:30pm – Goodbye/Feedback chat (informal, give thoughts/suggestions on how things went, and how to improve)
Ok, I think that’s all the news for now. I’m so happy with the way things have been progressing behind the scenes. Now we just have to get all of YOU to join us in February… by the beach… with a bunch of authors and reader friends…
Oh, I do love my real life!